Why did it do this?
- More distribution for eBay merchants
- Popularity of comparison shopping/shopping search
- Moving beyond the auction model
- ePinions reviews/ratings/community
- The growth imperative — its stock has taken a beating in the past few quarters for not showing Google-like growth. And its umpteenth effort to raise sellers' fees has met with a mutinous response
- It's still in a buying mood (not yet sated after consuming classifieds sites in the U.S. and abroad)
Anything I left out? (Consolidation is in the air.)